I believe there are two kinds of crafters… ones that LOVE making gel plate prints and ones that haven’t used a gel plate yet! LOLOL!! Let’s get you LOVING gel plate prints! I’m gonna show you how to use embossing folders to create amazing monoprints with your gel plate 😀
Affiliate links are used in this post. When you click on them and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at
no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
supplies for using embossing folders on a gel plate
You don’t need much to achieve great results. In fact, you don’t need anything special! Of course, if you need to do some shopping, I have the items linked here and down below. Be sure to check out my Crafty Sales page for any deals you can take advantage of at your favorite crafting haunts.
- Embossing Folder (regular or 3D style) pictured: Tulips & Rows of Squares
- Gel Plate
- Acrylic Paints
- Resume paper or other thin, 100% cotton paper
- Damp towel for cleanup
Looking for more specials and deals from your favorite craft stores?
Check out my Crafty Sales page – UPDATED DAILY!
steps to use an embossing folder on a gel plate
- Apply desired acrylic paint in a thin layer on the gel plate using a brayer
- Wait for the paint to dry a little bit
- Apply the embossing folder on the gel plate, pressing gently to make good contact
- Remove the embossing folder from the gel plate
- Add additional paint in a contrasting color if desired and wait for it to dry a little bit
- Place a piece of 100% cotton paper on the plate over the painted area, pressing and rubbing smooth for good contact
- Pull up the paper and see your results!
Mixed Media Techniques That Make You Look Like a Creative Genius
5 techniques you can learn in just an hour that require no special skills!
watch the technique tutorial
My How To tutorial videos are filmed with real-time narration. You can pull out your supplies and follow along because there’s no editing, except for drying time. Pause when you need to, but otherwise, get ready and create right along with me!
See this technique in action!
Here’s a recent project that feature’s the embossed wood sheet technique.
share and inspire someone today!
you make a difference!
You can help my craft education efforts by using these links to shop for your craft supplies! These are Compensated Affiliate Links, meaning that when you click and shop, I may receive a small commission on your sale, at no additional cost to you. It’s an easy way to say “thanks” and keep this great content flowing!